Coil-over shocks and struts have gotten a bad reputation in the mustang market as being too harsh for street use and best suited for track-only cars. We are not surprised since the majority of aftermarket coilovers a poorly engineered with the insufficient suspension travel causing bottoming, incorrect spring rates, and valving not suitable for the intended use. Not so with CorteX Xtreme-Grip shocks and struts. The Xtreme-Grip street coil-overs have been designed for maintain bump travel even with the vehicle lower, both spring rates and valving has been carefully selected for the best driving experience. We have done more testing that just about anyone with the S197 Mustang platform and put together a variety of packages specifically tailored for everything from daily drivers to purpose built road race cars.
Our rear coilover system is intended for use with our front coilovers struts however it can be used standalone with properly matched spring rates. When ordering please indicate if you are not using our front coilover struts and give a brief description of your setup.
We offer 7 damper options for our rear coilover systems.
SA = Single Adjustable 1 way, rebound only or compression and rebound without independent control of each
DA = Double Adjustable, 2-way, compression and rebound
3-way – High and low speed compression and low speed rebound
4-way – High and low speed compression and rebound
- Koni 30 Series SA Rear Damper – This damper is an entry level competition coilover that is suited for both street and track use depending on choice of spring rates. These are not the koni sport (Koni yellow) street shock that competitors are using. It is steel bodied damper that is extremely durable and suited for spring rates up to 500 lb/in. These dampers are non-rebuildable.
- JRi SA Rear Damper – These are aluminum bodied JRi ST08 dampers that we have custom valved to work to our specification. They have a very large range of adjustment. Although they are categorized as 1-way, adjustment affect both compression and rebound making quick adjustment simple. The shock could be upgraded to JRi DA in by changing the piston and shaft. These dampers are ideally suited for enthusiasts and track-day customers that want a high quality, efficient damper that is reasonably priced and can be quickly adjusted between street and track settings with the turn of a knob. These dampers are fully rebuildable and revalvable.
- JRi DA Rear Damper – These are aluminum bodied JRi ST08 dampers that we have custom valved to work to our specification. They have a very large range of adjustment. These dampers are ideally suited for track-day and racecars customers that want a high quality, efficient damper that provides outstanding value and adjustability. Street customers can order these shocks if they want the ability to fine tune their ride quality and also if they plan to transition to a more track oriented car in the future. These dampers are fully rebuildable and revalvable.
- Penske 7500 DA Rear Damper – The 7500 series double adjustable, coilover shock provides the versatility of separate compression and rebound adjustments without the use of an external reservoir. These are excellent dampers for the price and are equally at home on a street car, track car, and racecar. We even offer a drag race package using these dampers for those that will hit the strip.
- Penske 8300 DA Rear Damper – Penske 8300 double adjustable, coilover shock provides the versatility of separate compression and rebound adjustments with the use of a remote external reservoir. The wide adjustment range makes this shock easily adaptable to varying track conditions. This is an excellent racecar shock that can also be used on dual-purpose track-day cars but some holes may need to be added to the rear trunk area to allow the remote reservoirs to pass into the trunk area for mounting.
- Penske 8760 3-way Rear Damper – Perhaps the most universal Penske shock available, the 8760 is used in a wide variety of professional racing applications. In its standard configuration, the 8760 is a triple-adjustable, coilover damper. The 3 adjustments are comprised of a high speed compression adjustment, a low-speed compression adjustment, and a single rebound adjustment. The high-speed compression adjustment works with preloaded shims on a piston face while the rebound and low-speed compression adjustments consist of a needle/seat arrangement for a bleed bypass. The reservoir is available in either integral (piggyback) or remote style (with a hose connecting the main shock body to the reservoir). All aluminum body components combine for a lightweight, high-performance damper that can be configured in a variety of ways due to its modular design. The 8760 is used currently in Grand-AM, SCCA, IRL, and ALMS among other series.
- Ohlins TTX36 DA Rear Dampers – The TTX36 has been a proven winner in single seaters and sports cars and is one of the finest damper available on the market. The twin tube design providing positive pressure build-up has proven itself far superior to conventional techniques. Low internal friction, vast adjustment range and responsiveness even at the smallest strokes are among its virtues. The TTX36 damper is a mid-range single seater and sports car damper. Focusing on adjustability, durability and ease of maintenance the TTX36 delivers performance of a high-end product at a mid-range cost. The twin tube design together with a solid piston allows for all the damping to be generated in the external valves. This means that the adjustment range is vast just from turning the adjusters. The adjustment knobs are located on the cylinder head, easy to reach and offering a wide range of fully pressure balanced adjustments. These dampers can be upgraded to 3 or 4 way in the future without buying a complete new unit.