The Xtreme-Grip torque arm is a rear suspension component that delivers unsurpassed corner exit and straight-line rear grip without sacrificing cornering ability. You can also expect a significant decrease in frontend dive under braking since the rear axle rotational loads are now applied much closer the center of gravity. These improvements are accomplished by changing the anti-squat and anti-lift geometry of the rear suspension. When a mustang is lowered from the factory ride height the rear suspension geometry is compromised reducing rear grip under acceleration. Relocating the lower control arms pivots on the axle is a step in the right direction, however more improvement is possible. Our torque arm system allows significantly more anti-squat to be added to your mustang than with a 3 or 4 link design while still having correct rear axle roll steer. With our torque arm the rear tires are loaded more evenly than a 3-link design further maximizing traction. The more power your vehicle has the more benefit you will gain by installing our torque arm system.
The torque arm eliminates the upper 3rd link the mustang come with from the factory. It is a very effect suspension component for putting power to the ground. The reason it is better is that it can be set up with high percentage of anti-squat without being detrimental to the roll steer of the rear suspension. High anti-squat is effective because weight is transferred almost instantaneously to the rear tires. With low levers of anti-squat weight must first transfer through rear springs and all of it is not full transferred until the rear finishes squatting. On high powered cars with a lot of front weight bias (e.g. Mustang) the tires loose traction while waiting to become fully loaded. The torque arm also works well during braking. Instead of transferring a bunch of weight to the front of the car as soon as the brakes are applied the torque arm creates a force close the the center of gravity of the vehicle causing the entire chassis to squat instead of just the front suspension. That make hard braking much more confidence inspiring. What is important to understand is the the OEM Ford 3-link suspension can be adjusted to have a lot of anti-squat, however if you did that the car would not corner very well at all since the roll steer would be very bad.
Installing the torque arm system means that the OEM upper 3rd link on a 2005-2014 S197 Mustang will be removed. On 1979-2004 Mustangs two upper links will be removed and a watts link or panhard bar will need to be fitted for axle lateral location. For vintage mustangs (1964-1970) the torque arm can be used with leaf springs if required, however it is preferred to lower trailing arms and a watts link for best results so the rear suspension can reach its full potential.
There are a number of rear suspensions systems available for vintage mustangs however none of them has the combined benefit of ideal geometry leading to the best performing while still packaging into the vehicle without affecting rear seating area. While other suspension systems struggle if ride height is changed outside of a narrow widow, our system maintains excellent geometry over a broad range of ride heights.
Available for the following vehicles:
- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Mustangs and GT500 (All)
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 GT Mustangs and GT500 (8.8 rear axle only)
- 1979 thru 2004 Mustangs with 8.8 solid axles (no IRS)
- 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 Mustang w/ 9” Rear axle or with 8.8 solid axle
- Installation on the 2005 – 2014 S197 Mustang platforms is a bolt-in affair. Our unique mounting design also provides ample drive shaft clearance for most 1-piece driveshafts. The torque arm system allows you to eliminate the factory upper 3rd link on your existing suspension, which can be a significant source of noise and vibration when aftermarket upper links are installed. Get the best of both worlds, and install this effective, quiet, and easy to install product. You will not be disappointed!These Mustangs also require adjustable length lower control arms,
Consider also purchasing our adjustable lower control arm system :
CLCA-40-1000 (Track) or CLCA-40-1000S (Street).
- 1964 – 1970 Vintage Mustangs and 1979 – 2004 models require installation of sub frame connectors and welding in a torque arm front mount cross-member.
- If you are not buying the Xtreme-Grip watts link system along with the torque arm for 2005 – 2014 S197 Mustangs you will also need to purchase a Super Low Profile TA Performance rear end differential cover in order to install the torque arm.