The CorteX Xtreme-Grip Watts Link System locates the rear axle laterally, meaning it prevents relative sideways motion between the axle and body of the car. It is an improvement over a panhard bar because the watts link more closely approximates vertical straight-line motion of the axle assembly allowing the vehicle to behave symmetrically in left and right hand corners. A watts linkage is a mechanism consisting of two near horizontal links and a center pivot. The center pivot allows the mechanism to work because it compensates for the curved rotation of the horizontal links as they move through their arcs.
The watts link replaces the panhard bar in a few simple bolt-on steps. What makes the watts link so effective is the four possible pivot location points of the center pivot. The pivot point of a watts link is the rotation center of the rear of the vehicle. Moving it up or down relative to the center of gravity of the vehicle allows the roll stiffness of the suspension to be change. This enables balancing the front-to-rear grip of the vehicle so that the desired handling can be achieved.
The watts link will remove the nervous feeling your currently feel at the rear suspension of your car. The panhard bar allows some side to side motion of the rear end during bumps and also behaves differently in left and right hand corners. The watts link is a symmetric device. Beyond that, the watts link makes adjusting the rear roll center very easy since there are 4 possible pivot (roll center) locations. A lower roll center will soften the rear in roll and add more grip. Raising the roll center will stiffen the car in roll reducing grip. The ability to change the roll center (rear grip) will allow you to gain the optimal front-to-rear grip to balance the cornering characteristics of the car.
Available for the following vehicles:
- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Mustangs, Boss 302, and GT500 (All)
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 GT Mustangs and GT500 (8.8 rear axle only)
- 1979 thru 2004 Mustangs with 8.8 solid axles (no IRS)
- 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 Mustang w/ 9” Rear axle or with 8.8 solid axle
- Two models of the watts link are available for the 2005 – 2014 Mustangs:
- The street system utilizes poly bushings on the chassis pivot connection to minimize noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). CWL-40-2000S
- The track system has spherical bearing at all pivot points to minimize friction and deflection. CWL-40-2000
- The watts link is ideally pair with our coil over systems and with the optional adjustable front anti roll bar.
- Adjustable, lightweight, yet extremely durable.
- Poly end link on the chassis to reduce NVH (noise) CorteX’s revolutionary differential cover
- Incorporates watts pivot mount as well as provision for a differential cooler and temperature sensor.
- Fast adjustment of the rear roll center
- Makes balancing the car easier than ever
- For track cars or those not concerned with NVH also consider the CWL-40-2000, which uses spherical bearings throughout.